My photo
is an Athens, Georgia based boutique, production company dedicated to producing award winning Documentaries, Fictional Films, Commercial productions, and Music Videos. We take extreme pride in our work often going the extra mile to deliver you a product you can be proud of. We produce projects in High Definition, Standard Definition, and Film. Please contact us at 202.421.6093 or info@plumgoodproductions.com

Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's Been 1 Year of Gathering Interviews for Before The Memories Fade!

May 23, 2010, marked the completion of the first year of gathering interviews for my documentary, Before The Memories Fade: Voices from the Civil Rights Movement. In many ways it's hard to believe it's been a year and the film will be finished by this year's end.

Today I have spent a lot of time reflecting on the people
that I have met; the journey so far has been fantastic. Sure, I haven't been able to get all of the people that I wanted to get but that was to be expected. Schedules and locations have posed problems, but as always, I continue to strive to do my best. My poor car has logged thousands of miles driving all over the place to get interviews. It's a good thing I like being on the road and all the miles have been worth it.

What I have liked the most about this process has been hearing stories, both on the record and off the record. The off the record comments are priceless to me. It's too bad my audience will never get to hear them but that's all part of being a professional; I know and I'll have those
memories.

There are a few more interviews I have lined up this summer and then that's all the interviewing I'm doing for Part One. Yes Part One! I have decided to put together an additional hour long piece to follow this one. The information that I'm getting and the people are too good not to make a Part Two. I also hope to include many of the people that I was not able to get in Part One due to scheduling conflicts.

Making this movie has been very exciting and I hope to pass on to as many people as possible, especially students, the knowledge that I have gained from those brave Civil Rights participants.

Along this journey, I have experienced some sadness due to the passing of several people that I have interviewed. Part of the reason I decided to do this documentary was that I knew many of the participants in the movement were getting older in their years, and I wanted to be able to document them in their own words. I didn't realize, however, how soon the memories would start to fade.

I am very grateful to all who have invited me into their homes and allowed me to interview and talk with them. I am also very honored that I am allowed to let those who have passed on tell their stories in their own words. This I do not take lightly! We learn from the people who have been there and lived through it. In their memories I strive to do my best.


No comments:

Post a Comment